There are so many great benefits to learning Spanish, and there is no better time than ahora! Below are 10 reasons to finally take the plunge and learn Spanish!
- You will become more competitive in the job market. Whether you already have a great job or are actively searching for one, learning Spanish can give you an edge and help you to be considered for new oportunidades.
- It builds vocabulary in your native language. Learning vocabulario in another language helps you to have a greater depth of understanding and a better recall of words in your own language. This is especially true for English speakers learning Spanish, because both languages have their roots in Latin, which means that you will be exposed to many cognates, or words that look similar and have similar meanings. Your speaking level will be avanzado in no time!
- Personal growth. Learning a new idioma doesn’t just teach you new ways to say words, but also teaches you new cultural concepts and gives you a deeper understanding of the daily lives of native speakers.
- Be a stronger professional. Aside from inglés, Spanish is the second most commonly spoken language in the world. In many profesiones, such as medicine, law, nursing, education, and social-work, just to name a few, employees will need to work with diverse populations. Trying to say a few words in their language, being able to hold a basic conversation, or understanding certain terms people say even when they are not said in English can help you to do your job better, and can make all the difference in the world to those you are working with.
- Understand the children in your life. As Spanish language programs become the norm in schools, los niños are learning Spanish at younger and younger ages. They often delight in showing off their knowledge and practicing, so a working knowledge of Spanish could be really beneficial to parents and other members of the familia. Plus, it’s nice to know what siblings and cousins are saying when they think you don’t understand them….
- Ability to work abroad. Second language knowledge expands your horizons in so many ways! Spanish, in particular, is the official language of TWENTY countries, and is spoken and understood in many more. Being able to communicate effectively in Spanish realmente expands your job posibilidades!!!
- Being able to watch foreign movies and shows, read books, and listen to music. Although subtitles are a great help, it’s wonderful to be able to watch exceptional films such as El laberinto del fauno in their native tongue, without missing any of the incredible imagery because you’re reading subtitles. Also if you’re a big fan of literature and música, speaking Spanish will greatly expand your reading and listening options!
- Spanish is relatively easy to learn. Learning Spanish has several advantages over learning other languages. In addition to having Latin roots like English, which gives you a lot of cognates to learn/understand rápidamente, Spanish is also spelled phonetically, so you don’t have to guess at pronunciation like you do in other languages – or even like you do in English! Also, since it is one of the most spoken languages in the world, there are always native speakers nearby to practice with and to learn from.
- Better travel experiences. While gesturing and miming are useful tools while traveling in a foreign country, it’s great to be able to speak and to understand what is being said to you. Plus, just trying to use another country’s official language will make locals more friendly towards you and willing to help. An understanding of the language will also give you the opportunity to experience cultural actividades that you might otherwise not have been aware of, or that you wouldn’t have understood.
- An investment in your cognitive future. Learning a language helps to keep your brain younger longer and to make more neural conexiones. That means that you will be less likely to be affected by age-related cognitive decline in the futuro!
This blog post was written by Mandy Picado VanderVeen, the Marketing Director at the best Spanish language school in Costa Rica, Instituto Estelar Bilingüe. If you are interested in learning Spanish with university-trained native speakers in beautiful Costa Rica, our weekly Spanish immersion program makes it fun and easy to learn Spanish quickly. We offer homestays with local families and many free practice opportunities, such as Latin dance classes, Costa Rican cooking classes, Artisan classes, language exchanges, volunteer opportunities, and much more. Check out our website to learn more and then go ahead and register for classes and start your Spanish language learning journey today!